Saturday, November 22, 2008

13 Nov , 2008

Experienced an roller coaster ride !!!

Today , 1/4 th of us "XXXXXX"ites have been fired. And life suddenly seems so un-stable. So, finicky...

Ending an 7 year long Motorola journey, when i decided to join XXXXXX, it was well-thought decision. I knew what kinda change i need. I knew exactly how XXXXX might help me and I knew exactly what risk it might pose.. But i decided to take plunge and taste the water.. Friends/Managers persuaded that this might be risky preposition.. but putting a over-confident front, I would say "I would face the challenge"..

Its been even less than 2 months ago that i joined XXXXXX and then this day "Today" arrived..Just another normal day. Just another analysis...But i realized that this might not be just another day when i got to know lady beside my desk has been asked to leave.. She was "fired".. I had heard about "firing", I had seen my US -counter part being fired. but I had not experienced it that close , till day.

In an next 15 minutes, my team member was asked to leave as well. The one with whom , I used to go for lunch everyday. The Guy was almost into an tears. did not really know how to console him , how to give him a strength. The team was just speechless..But little did i know , that this is just the beginning of the eventful day.

The same moment I got a call from one of my colleague. Heard him mumbling few words and I disconnected the call.. He had given me a news. My Email-Id was deactivated. He wanted to send me an mail but instead got a message "This email id does not exist" ..
U have to be real dumb not to understand what this means...

"The Email ID does not Exist"....


I knew that perhaps I might be called by HR , now. But I was just hoping against the hope.. I just hoped he might have mistyped my id. But it was not the case.. I tried to log-in to my email account.. And my hopes dashed when message popped up "Invalid user ID".

Now , I was sure.... This is no accident.. My Email -ID has been deactivated.. Hardly 2 months and I am gonna be fired. Brain understood it fully that today is my last day in the company. But heart never loses hope , it seems.. It does not want to accept what its brain correctly says.. I just foolishly hoped that this is just mistake.. May be , they wanted to deactivate somebody Else's id and deleted mine...May be, that's the reason that HR has not called me up yet.

Every passing second was fueling a suspense or so did my heart think...Finally, I decided to just go to HR and finish the suspense.. Went to her cube.. As soon as i faced her face , her face changed expression..Or so did I think. She brought serious expression even before i uttered a single word..She was to politely tell me what i already knew....

HR: Yes Abhishek , Whats up.
Me: My email id has been deactivated. so Am i in or out ... ( I smiled sheepishly).

Without changing her expression , she just dialed few numbers.

Her face was no more a serious one ...



HR: Oh Sorry Abhishek , It must have been a mistake. U r definitely in. Deleting ur ID must have been some goof-up somewhere..



Gosh !!! :) . roller coaster Ride Indeed. 3 hour long roller coaster Ride.

And I am still a proud "XXXXXX"ite.

7 comments:

Swarup said...

Gosh! even while reading this, my breathing stopped for a while and i discontinued my reading and read the last line in the mid...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

That one was one speechless and numb tale of whats happening in the times of recession.

Seemanta said...

Nice suspense...I struggled not to jump over and read the finish. But it is true, this can happen to anyone of us any day, considering the shaky world economy.

abhinav said...

hey yaar .. just now i read this .. and halfway i couldnt digest .. i was seriously frightened.. while even i had hope that u had written a blog so that shdnt have happended .. other wise u wouldnt have written the blog yaar.great suspense but true store ..

ankydoodle said...

mast lihila aahe re :)

gaurav said...

Dost kya likha hai !! ankhon main aasun aagaye.. but i loved the positive spirit in which you started writing and ended it with the perfect note!!

Great going